Twisters (#577)


I went to the movies with my daughter in Northern Virginia on Saturday, and all the others who attended the showing felt a need to sit close to us, even though most of the theater was empty.  I would call TWISTERS a "too" movie — too loud, too many tornados, too many vehicles driving wildly into tornados, too much wind, too many explanations about tornados and too long!  It stars several actors I am not familiar with but wasn't aware they were in it, namely Glen Powell and Daisy Edgar-Jones. Not that it matters. It is a typical action-packed movie with personalities thrown in.  Edgar-Jones is a university professor specializing in handling tornados who is persuaded to come out of semi-retirement to face a monster storm.  She uses science to do the job with an under-funded team of students.  Competing with them is a team of cowboy-like irregulars from Arkansas who believe the way to quell tornados is to launch fireworks into the spout.  Most people will like it; I was mildly excited.  The special effects were very good and the cast was okay.  There is also a budding romance between Daisy and the leader of the Arkansas team.  67% of critics and 58% of audiences gave Twisters a thumbs up.  I must apologize for an error in my review of Fly Me to the Moon.  I said that the government man reminded me of Woody Harrelson but wasn't.  My son pointed out that it really was Harrelson.  How did I miss that one?  I asked my daughter as we left the theater when credits started to role, "Why do people stay beyond the end?  They always seem to in all the films I see."  Do any of you have an explanation?  Do they know something I don't know to follow the film?

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)