The Fabulous Four (#580)


I avoided the crowds yesterday by opting not to see the latest Marvel Comics release Deadpool & Wolverine (which I plan to see on Wednesday) and instead went to see a movie I really didn't want to see.  I am always apprehensive about the movies starring women embarked on a quest to do something different.  THE FABULOUS FOUR starred, among others, Susan Sarandon and Bette Midler.  I must report that, in my opinion, neither the stars nor the movie were fabulous.  This was a stinker with a capital S.  It's about 4 girls who bond in New York City way back when and are the closest of friends.  One of them, Midler, now lives in Key West and invites two of them to be bridesmaids at her upcoming wedding.  She is estranged from the fourth one, a surgeon named Lou (? spelling), estranged because years before she married a man that Lou was in love with.  He subsequently died.  Are you following this?  They dupe Lou into coming with them, explaining that she won a cat in a contest.  She actually believed this!!  The rest of the film tries to iron things out and contains unnecessary sexual references, drunkenness, drug abuse and use, and sundry other things, too stupid to write about.  I wasn't disappointed; somehow I expected all this. It was a nice travelogue of Key West (if you like Key West) and mercifully was only 1 hour snd 38 minutes long.  For a change, critics reacted as I did, for only 28% gave it a thumbs up; audiences (63%) reviewed it more favorably.     

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)