Oddity (#579)


I goofed again, as one of you kindly pointed out.  In my Twisters (plural) review, I identified the leading players as Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton.  But they starred in Twister (singular) almost 30 years ago, snd I am reasonable certain one or more of them are dead or too old to stand up to a tornado. Sorry about that.  Despite my lukewarm review of Twisters, it was 30 times better than ODDITY, which I saw yesterday.  A young married woman is brutally murdered in a remote country house being renovated by the woman and her husband, a psychiatrist in local mental hospital.  The suspected murderer is a patient from that hospital but he ends up dead, too.  Along comes the woman's twin sister, who is not only a self-styled psychic but a collector of weird things.  And to add a twist, she is also blind which is why she can easily move freely though dark interiors.  She is suspicious of her sister's death and, in trying to get revenge for the murder, pays an uninvited visit to her sister's house where the husband is living with his new girl friend.  I guessed that the reason the house is so dark is they couldn't afford electric lights during the renovation!  I am certain you can guess the rest so will say no more other than to remark that it was the worst portrayal of a blind person I ever recall seeing.  And it should come as no surprise that 95% of critics and 86% of audiences gave Oddity a thumbs up, proving once again that I don't know what I'm talking about and haven't a clue as to what comprises a good film. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)