National Anthem (#578)


The movie i saw today played to an audience of one, and frankly, if I had known a little more, I might have stayed home, too.  I guess you'd call NATIONAL ANTHEM an interesting movie, if you are interested in a movie about the LGBTQ community and those who engage in drag activities.  Neither is on my high-interest list but I sat through all 1 hour and 36 minutes looking for something that spiked my interest.  The film follows Dylan, a twenty-one year old man (who looks no more than 16), living in a remote area with his single hair-dresser mother and a young brother to whom he's devoted.  Dylan works odd jobs where he can get them to help family finances, and one day gets a job at a ranch where he meets Sky, a deep-voiced girl, and they click.  She takes him to see a rodeo where he sees things he's never seen before involving all the sexuality he never experienced or knew about.  He seems particularly attracted to those in drag and at one point allows Sky to apply makeup and fit him with s dress and a wig, which he seems to enjoy.  There are all sorts of sexual encounters which the audience sees unrevealing parts of.  I guess it is well acted, and I guess it has a message or two about tolerating such behavior.  I thought exposing his little brother to all this was a bit much, but who am I to say?  92% of critics and 62% of audiences gave National Anthem a thumbs up. 

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)