Wildcat (#553)


I tried to see Star Wars, Ep 1, The Phantom Menace, but after s late start because of a power glitch in the theater and within 40 minutes two more power glitches, I concluded I was not meant to see that movie and I left.  The part I did mange to see did not resemble any of the Star Wars early episodes I saw in yesteryear.  The next movie I saw was unusual and about a well-known author I am totally unfamiliar with—a southerner named Flannery O'Connor.  I knew the name but had never read anything she wrote nor anything about her. WILDCAT was a deep movie, seemingly moving in and out of her subconscious as she ponders her need to write and delving into the psychological and philosophical aspects of her life.  She visits her mother, well-played by Laura Linney, with whom she has an uncomfortable relationship, as she looks for answers to her problems with a priest and her conscience. At 24, she develops lupus, the illness that took her father's life when she was quite young. She also loses a leg, which may be a result of the lupus but is not explained in the film (at least I don't recall any explanation). Directed by Ethan Hawke who I only recognize as an actor, the movie is well acted but plods at times because of the heavy subject matter.  But because she interested me, I may try to read some of Ms. O'Conner's work. 52% of critics and 80% of audiences gave it a thumbs up. 


Comments

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)

Killers of the Flower Moon (#475)

Celebrating 500!!!