Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (#555)


Too often Hollywood believes in the statement, more is better, and what resultsis more horror films, more sequels. more franchises, more super heroes and King Kongs and Godzillas, etc., etc.  I happen to be a simian lover, starting way back to Tarzan movies and Cheetah, his pet chimpanzee, which is why I went to see KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.  Believe it or not, I actually persuaded my bride (we were on our honeymoon in Spain thanks to her job as a flight attendant with Pan American) to visit the Barcelona zoo where we viewed the world's only albino gorilla in captivity.  He was just an infant then.  I subsequently revisited the gorilla some 50 years later while on a business trip.  He was huge, still white, in his own building.  I hasten to add, he did not remember me. Back to the movie.  I enjoyed the original Planet films, including the ones where apes were trying to take over the world.  They were civilized, spoke and rode horseback.  But this one was one too many.  Although the depiction of the new quality of the apes was as good or better than ever, there wasn't a good story line, and the ape leader, who kept speaking about the previous leader, Caesar (who was terrific in early versions). was evil personified and ranted and raved.  And the few humans viewed were cowed by the simians and were in hiding.  Frankly, I was disappointed and wondered if Hollywood would ever learn. Once again I was at odds with critics and audiences.  Critics' thumbs up were at 81%, audiences at 78%. 

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)