Uproar (#534)


My daughter proved once again that she has better taste than I do when it comes to choosing movies to see.  UPROAR, is what I might call a sleeper because it is totally unheralded and sneaked into the local “arts” theater.  It was an excellent and delightful movie from New Zealand which supposedly depicted a true event of which I was totally unaware. a violent public reaction about racism and apartheid started and fueled by a visit of the South African rugby team to play in matches around the country.  The film focused on an overweight young man of mixed racial makeup who, up to then, had no interest in politics or anything else and was content to let things be and becomes a symbol of the demands for racial equality.  It is funny and poignant and has a real story to tell (and it is told very well).  Good acting, a fine story even if somewhat predictable. The only actor whose name I recognized was Minnie Driver as the boy’s mother (even though I did not recognize her).  It was a feel good movie, reminiscent of movies from my growing-up days,  For a change, critics agreed wholeheartedly with me. 100% gave it a thumbs up along with 92% of audiences.  It’s worthwhile to try to find it somewhere. 

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)