Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (#533)


I visited my daughter in Virginia for the Easter weekend, and saw three movies—one alone and two with her.  I should have restrained myself and gone only with her because the movie I saw alone was, to put it mildly, ridiculous. Why don’t they let the Japanese make all the Godzilla movies because they seem to know what to do with them.  This American version, GODZILLA x KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE, had a clumsy, inept monster Godzilla, stumbling through Rome knocking down some walls of the Colosseum and then appearing in Egypt and knocking down one or more of the pyramids at Giza. That was more than I could bear.  Then they depicted Kong as a really old monster gorilla, with white beard and deeply lined face. If those two weren’t bad enough, they introduced what I can only believe was a very young future Kong, a nasty little monkey that had no redeeming characteristics.  And the plot?  What plot?  The two former adversaries clashed and knocked down everything in sight and then joined forces (I think), again knocking down whatever was left, to save our world.  At least that’s what I think happened; I didn’t really care, and even with the incredibly loud sounds, which actually made the theater seats reverberate, I was able to nap comfortably throughout this epic.  55% of those movie-loving and forgiving critics gave this one a thumbs up, and 92% of audiences loved it.   

Comments

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)

Killers of the Flower Moon (#475)

Celebrating 500!!!