Out of Darkness (#515)


I admit I read about this movie after I left the theater about an hour into the film because I really didn't know what was going on.  Most of the scenes were shot in a cave or other barely lighted sites, and the captions were virtually unreadable.  Furthermore I was unable to figure out what language they were speaking until I did my reading.  It was a language made up just for the film, and they seemed to speak it very well even though there wasn’t a lot of dialogue.  I read that the film is about a bunch of ancients or cavemen and women (this happened 43,000 years ago) who arrive by boat on what appears to be a deserted island and encounter creatures or apparitions or something else when they realize they aren’t alone.  The soundtrack is punctuated by abrupt, very loud noises of all kinds, and occasional screams.  I wouldn’t classify it as a horror film; critics considered it something else, and I urge you to read them first if you plan to see this one. I know you’re not shocked or even surprised to know that 81% of critics gave it a thumbs up but only 53% of audiences seemed to enjoy it.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)