The Color Purple (#501)


2024 has not started off so well as far as movies are concerned. At least, not for me. I went to see THE COLOR PURPLE yesterday, with absolutely no recollection of its previous version. I was not only not impressed; I was bored and left after about an hour. Despite the involvement and talents of Oprah Winfrey, Stephen Spielberg and Quincy Jones, I thought it was dull and wandered aimlessly and featured an agglomeration of lively but inappropriate dancing (as in movies from Bollywood) and equally inappropriate singing. Perhaps I am over-movied! It seems to be a story of a terribly mistreated girl (woman) who moves from one unfortunate situation to another, with no escape in sight.  That’s as much of the movie I stayed for. And, as usual, I am completely at odds with critics and audiences who gave Purple 87% and 95% thumbs ups respectively.  Sorry about that.

Comments

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)

Killers of the Flower Moon (#475)

Celebrating 500!!!