Night Swim (#504)


I have to be more discriminating regarding the movies I go to see, even if I see most of them free.  Take NIGHT SWIM, for example, which I viewed today.  It is billed as a horror film; what it really is, is a horrible film that wandered all over the place looking for a comprehendible plot unsuccessfully.  If I try to explain it, you’ll get just as mystified as I was.  In short, a family, consisting of husband, wife and two teenaged kids, moves to a new area looking for a place to settle down.  It appears that the husband is a major league baseball player either recovering from an injury or suffering from MS.  They settle on a funny-looking house with a swimming pool that is neglected and has gone to pot, and they resurrect the pool and swim and play in it a lot, including the pool perennial game "Marco Polo." The pool is unusual because it is fed by a natural spring, and the waters seem to have magical powers because the husband is getting better every day.  Incidentally, I would never have hired him for my baseball team.  Things go downhill for them quickly after some weird events that occur when they invite lots of people to a pool party.  Eventually, the husband goes nuts and disappears in the pool to join whatever creature lives there.  Satisfied?  Don't see this one even if you like to be scared because it isn’t scary except for the loud noises and eerie music and darkness.  Only 26% of critics and 44% of audiences gave it a thumbs up.  And I thought I was alone in being super critical.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)