Celebrating 500!!!


To celebrate my 500th review, I thought I’d go back in time and review how and when they started.  My first review was written on May 29, 2015, when I was only 86 years old.  It was written for my children to prove I was doing something more than feeling sorry for myself after my wife died  The movie was San Andreas, and the review was three typewritten lines.  “Saw San Andreas today.  It wasn’t bad - lots of action.  Glad I didn’t see it as a 3D version.  I wouldn’t have been able to dodge all the buildings falling.”  Three line reviews continued until October 16 when I saw two movies in one week and wrote 10 lines.  They were two movies with all-black casts—Birth of a Nation  and Queen of Katwa.  I think by then a couple of my grandchildren were added to the mailing list.  It wasn’t until February 7, 2016 that my reviews became longer and I reviewed two movies in one review—Fences and Hidden Figures and from then on, like Topsy numbers of films grew and numbers of the mailing list as well.  I now send them to more than 70 people in the U.S. and Mexico.  I think it’s interesting to note that I never saved any of my reviews (deleted them as soon as I sent them) and some on the list started asking if I had reviewed this or that film previously and I had no evidence.  Fortunately my son had saved all and emailed me 80 reviews on February 20, 2018, and the rest is history.  Unfortunately, old age and advanced macular degeneration are catching up to me, and my ophthalmologists confirmed that I am losing vision in my right eye.  No way to know how quickly it will get worse, so until I cannot see the movie and drive to the theater,  I will continue to write, and you will understand why typographical errors often appear in my writing, and I am having difficulty reading as well.  If you had trouble accepting my invitation to the fantastic blog my son created for me, Old Man@The Movies, try entering https://omattm.blogsspot.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)