Eileen (#496)


I just didn’t like EILEEN. It wasn’t because it was dark, in sets as well as characters. I thought it was just plain weird and for what I presumed to be a psychological thriller, nothing made sense. Eileen, an odd young girl living with her troubled father, is employed by a local prison for children (I was unable to tell what her job was). When a new psychologist, Dr. Rebecca, played by a glamorous and unrecognizable because of the darkness blonde Anne Hathaway, is hired, the two form what might be termed an unholy alliance which may be sexual in part. The plot takes a sharp turn to the left when Rebecca confesses a horrific and unlikely transgression which puts them both in an uncomfortable situation.  And then the movie ends abruptly, with cars and trucks moving down a highway. Don’t ask me what that meant.  I didn’t write the script.  In a not surprising ranking because I think critics may be as weird as the movies they applaud, they gave the film an 82% thumbs up.  Audiences proved a little more discriminating with only 52% liking it.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)