Priscilla (#479)


I admit I was never a fan of Elvis Presley, and I know little or nothing about his life; so this film, written and directed by Sofia Coppola, was a revelation and eye-opener for me. Too, I know of only one movie I saw that was Sofia’s — Lost in Translation — and I thought that was weird.  With those confessions out of the way, I turn to PRISCILLA, which was adapted by Coppola from Priscilla Presley’s autobiography.  To my mind, it makes it impossible to know what is fact, fiction, real or imagined memories of Mrs. Presley or figments of imagination from the writer/director/producer.  Or both.  Nonetheless, it was a good film, with excellent performances by actors in the roles of Elvis and Priscilla.  It begins when Elvis was in the Army in Germany and Priscilla is a ninth grade student, living with her military family there.  She is introduced to already famous Elvis who, according to the script, lives in a house there and entertains lots of friends.  I must say I have never heard of an unmarried enlisted man who lived in a house while on active duty abroad. Anyhow, the two bond, as both appear to be naive and lonely.  She speaks in a very soft voice; Elvis mumbles a lot.  They appear to fall in love, and when Elvis is discharged, he talks Priscilla’s parents into allowing her to join him at his home Graceland where he promises to continue her high school education and to respect her.  He is dominating, he (and she) take pills which I assume are narcotics or psychedelic  drug.  After living together for years, they finally marry and have a daughter.  Elvis is depicted as moody, prone to erratic behavior and an adulterer.  She is completely under his control and accepts it.  Bottom loin is,I think I liked it (or thought it was a well-done film).  84% of critics gave it a thumbs up as opposed to 62% of audiences.  I think many who watched resented how Elvis was depicted. 

Comments

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)

Killers of the Flower Moon (#475)

Celebrating 500!!!