May December (#488)


On Thanksgiving morning my daughters and I went to see MAY DECEMBER, and I had no clue as to what it was all about.  I suspected it was about a romance between two people who differed somewhat in age.  It was, to put it mildly, more than I bargained for.  It was about two people who differed in age all right — in this one Gracie, a woman with twin high school students and played by a blonde Julianne Moore,was exposed nationally and perhaps internationally 20 years before for having an affair with a seventh grade boy and who eventually divorced her husband and married the 7th grader.  Were you able to follow all that?  She is being interviewed by Elizabeth, played by Natalie Portman, an actress who is going to be playing the part of Gracie in an upcoming film.  I’m really not a prude but I have to believe Hollywood can come up with better subject matter than this one. It was well acted and the pace was reasonable, but I was jolted by some of the events.  I hope the movie they are making in this one is better than this one, which will not be on my list of best-loved movies.  And while I was watching, I was predicting in my mind how the critics would treat it, and I was, as they say, spot on!  93% of critics and 95% of audiences gave it a thumbs up, which is sufficient evidence that my opinion is way off base.  Maybe it was just because it was, as we used to say, a girlie film.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)