Journey to Bethlehem (#481)


Are you ready for this one?  I seriously doubt it.  I don’t know why I chose to see JOURNEY TO BETHLEHEM because I find most religiously-themed movies too religious.  I was not only pleasantly surprised; I was absolutely delighted.  The settings and scenery were perfectly done; the cast was well chosen and in very good voice; and the songs were appropriate and much better than the ones in Jesus Christ Superstar.  And there was comic relief supplied first by the angel Gabriel when he gave Mary the good news and then by the Magi in search of the baby Jesus.  They even sang a song entitled “Three wise guys”.  And there was an ongoing gag about myrrh.  Yes, they took liberties with the story, but not to the detriment of the occasion.  In this film, Mary fights against marrying Joseph, the man her father chose, because she wants to be a teacher. Then, when she reveals that she is bearing the son of God (she is nor believed), Joseph’s father calls off the wedding, but Joseph is adamant in his love for Mary and follows her to her cousin Elizabeth’s home where she fled in disgrace.  And they are married there by Elizabeth’s mute husband.  It was so full of joy and fun.  I can’t remember enjoying a film as much.  The only recognizable name was Antonio Banderas, and I didn’t realize he played the very nasty King Herod until the credits at the end.  It is the perfect Christmas movie for every family member.  76% of critics gave it a thumbs up while 94% of audiences enjoyed it.  Even if you’re a philistine, I think this one should be seen.

Comments

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)

Killers of the Flower Moon (#475)

Celebrating 500!!!