The Exorcist: Believer (#470)

There was a scene in the Broadway musical 1776, when John Adams laments in song, “Is anybody there?  Does anybody care?”  That was my reaction after sending my last review and asking whether, at age 94, it was time for me to stop writing snd sending reviews.  Less than 20% responded and I thank those of you who did.  It makes me wonder if my reviews are going unread or relegated to the trash.  So I ask once more, and a simple “continue” or ”quit” is enough — should I continue to write and send movie reviews?


I saw what was purported to be, what I guess, was a sequel to a hit  horror and award winning film from 50 yeas ago.  THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER was not to be believed.  Starting with an African American couple vacationing in Haiti, there is a tragic earthquake and the husband is forced to choose whether his wife or infant is to be saved.  And it goes downhill from there.  I was so distracted half an hour into the film that I went to the lobby and asked there manager if I was in the wrong theater because I saw no signs of bizarre behavior from anyone.  It is a terrible film, not scary or full o horror, and it is almost as though the writers and producers wanted a politically correct movie because the exorcism or what was supposed to be one was performed by a minister, a priest and a voodoo practitioner on one black girl and one white one.  But the truth is, they missed the mark because they forgot to include a rabbi!  And poor Ellen Burstyn was obviously forced to make a return appearance as the mother in the original film.  I wasn’t too much at odds with others as only 23% of critics and 57% of audiences

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)