Shelter in Solitude (#472)


I saw my third movie this week, and I am glad I went even though I had no idea what the movie was about, and the title didn’t give a big clue.  Well plotted, well directed and well acted by people I had never seen before, SHELTER IN SOLITUDE is a surprising and unusual film that many might not like because it is sad and depressing through most of the film, and the ending is something no viewer wanted to see.  This is the story of an unhappy and unsuccessful country music singer whose brother is the warden of a small prison which is currently housing a man who is scheduled to be electrocuted in 11 days.  I was surprised that a prison that small would have an electric chair.  Valerie, the singer, owns a bar which is closing because of covid and an unpaid mortgage.  If that weren’t enough, someone breaks in and steals all the money in the cash register.  Her brother, short-staffed because of covid and a retirement, hires her to be the sole guard taking care of the black convict awaiting electrocution.  She does everything to befriend him, and he finally opens up.  I thought the 93 minutes was well spent but emotionally draining.  Only three critics seem to have reviewed this film, and each gave it a thumbs up, while 98% of audiences thought as I did.  I doubt the movie got extensive circulation, so good luck in finding it.  

Most of you have not responded to my query, so perhaps I should ask if you want to stay on my mailing list.  Those who responded already don’t need to do anything. I know how you feel.  

Comments

Most Popular

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Monkey Man (#539)

Killers of the Flower Moon (#475)

Celebrating 500!!!