Freelance (#476)


Given poor choices at my local theater, I opted to see FREELANCE instead of AFTER DEATH, which chronicled experiences of people who reported near death happenings. Somehow I didn’t need that.  The movie I saw happily was only an hour and a half long, and while it wasn’t awful, it was a silly adventure/thriller/shoot-em-up story.  The star, ex-wrestler John Cena, is an unhappy man in his career choice (law school) and quits to join the Army and ends up in Special Forces where he spends his happiest days until a mission to kill the dictator of a Latin American country goes awry and most of his buddies are killed.  He becomes a lawyer, marries, has a young precocious daughter and is recruited by his friend, the other survivor of the ill-fated mission who runs s highly successful security firm, to do one assignment — be bodyguard to a celebrity journalist, played by Alison Brie, who is going to get a prized interview with the dictator he failed to kill earlier.  Bet you can guess the rest. You’ll have to because I’m not going to reveal more.  What’s remarkable is that not one of the 22 critics on Rotten Tomatoes liked it for a perfect 0% thumbs up.  No audience reaction noted.  One of my readers remarked that my reviews are riddled with typos, and I apologize and will try to proofread more carefully in the future.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)