The Nun II (#461)


Please don’t ask me to describe THE NUN II, which I saw today.  First off, it is another film photographed in available light in venues that have no light, and my old eyes are just unable to make a lot of things out.  Secondly, it is a sequel and I am not exactly sure of what is happening.  I am surmising that a number of priests, bishops and nuns throughout Europe are dying in many ways, like murder and suicide.  A senior in the church orders a nun, Sister Irene, to investigate and stop this killing because she was able to do this previously (in the original The Nun perhaps?)  She initially refuses and then reluctantly accepts the assignment.  From then on, I was literally and figuratively in the dark.  She ends up at a convent school somewhere in France where the main characters are a young student named Sophie, the kindly school maintenance man Frenchie and another nun who turns out to be the Demon Nun whom Irene encountered in her previous assignment.  In prolonged action mostly in the dark and accompanied by loud noises, Frenchie becomes a scary creature (thanks to the workings of the Demon Nun) and there are countless encounters in which Irene clubs Frenchie but he recovers. The plot I just described may be a figment of my imagination.  45% of critics and 76% of audiences gave it a thumbs up.  In my humble opinion, it was too dark, too loud and too long, at just under two hours. 

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)