Bottoms (#460)


I reached the bottom of the barrel when I went to see my fourth movie in about a week.  I had read a précis on what it was about and wasn’t really sure I wanted to see it.  I can describe BOTTOMS in a couple of words:  disgusting, obscene. gross and just plain awful.  If it was supposed to be a satire or a farce or a comedy, it completely missed the boat.  Briefly, two gay high school students, using language that would embarrass a sailor, start a fight club to attract cheerleaders for the purpose of losing their virginity.  I am now convinced that women can write, produce and direct filthier movies than men. This is proof.  And to prove how wrong I am with my negative review, you need only to know that critics (95%) and audiences (92%) loved it.  A critic at the lofty New York Times, Elisabeth Vincentelli, went so far as to write, “For most of its tight fisted running time, Bottoms hovers on the cusp of greatness.”  No one in their right mind would call me a prude, but this one grossed me out.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)