Meg 2: The Trench (#452)


Will I never learn?  My Regal Unlimited pass is a curse because it forces me to see movies that I know in advance I won’t like or won’t understand or just plain hate.  After seeing MEG 2: THE TRENCH, I am grateful that I didn’t see its predecessor (if I did see it I have absolutely no recollection).  For the uninitiated, Megs, I think, are giant sharklike sea creatures.  This film, starring Jason Statham, who must have had a terrible childhood because he never smiles, is really two films.  The first half, which I think lasted two hours, was an underwater adventure; the second half, which I think lasted two hours, was a land and above water adventure, both of which featured impossible feats by the stunt people,  Under water where they go to impossible depths, exploring a heretofore undiscovered electronic powered facility which appears to be ten times the size of a football field.  An evil group headed by an evil woman tries mightily to keep them trapped down below but are unsuccessful.  On land, where they’re surrounded by happy vacationers, they battle with bad guys, large megs and one creature that has forty foot long tentacles that grab everything in sight.  If anyone reading this review happens to see this one, please explain the plot to me.  Critics were lukewarm at best with only 28% giving it a thumbs up.  Audiences, with 73% favorable response, were more generous. 

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)