Sound of Freedom (#445)


After a less-than-satisfactory set of experiences with Movie Pass, I cancelled my subscription and returned to my Regal Unlimited one.  I saw SOUND OF FREEDOM that was better than good, but I can’t say I liked it or enjoyed it because of the uncomfortable subject matter — trafficking of children for sex.  But it was based on a true story and was well done despite the awfulness of the subject.  The star was Jim Caviezel (whom I remember as a portrayer of Jesus way back when), and also faintly recognizable in a relatively minor role is Mira Sorvino.  The best role was played by someone named Bill Camp, who is an expatriate American and former bad guy who helps Caviezel.  The hero, who works for Homeland Security, rescues a young boy from traffickers and then gets fixated on rescuing the boy’s sister, whom he learns has been taken to Columbia.  He quits his job and treks to the Columbia hideout in the middle of the jungle in pursuit of his goal.  It is a thriller, but much too long and drags at times, but tells a good story.  I was surprised by the bad and venomous  review in Rolling Stone, which suggests that the film subject isn’t true and that the audience was duped.  Other critics (77%) gave it a thumbs up as did 100% of audiences.

Comments

Most Popular

The Fabulous Four (#580)

Civil War (#541)

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (#473)

Oddity (#579)

Monkey Man (#539)